Thursday, May 1, 2008

A Funny Thing Happened At the Golf Course

Typically, I don't play golf with people I know. Contrary to popular opinion, that is not because I might say something I should not. Though, quite frankly, many times I would like to say non-pastor type words. I do, however, play with people I don't know as a chance to meet new people and perhaps have a Divine appointment on the golf course. Recently, the tables were turned on me. I never tell people what I do for a living unless they ask. Normally, that is quite entertaining as they typically will use language that they would not normally use around a pastor. Then they find out that I am a pastor and they spend the rest of the time apologizing, which ironically is a great time to introduce the subject of grace.
This day, however, it was different. On hole number 15, my cart partner took a deep breath and asked me the question that he had been working up to all day. "Do you go church very often?" I answered, "Yes, I go to church A LOT!" "Really?" he asked, "where do you go?"
It was then that I consider having fun with my new found brother in Christ. I thought about telling him that I was a Buddhist and that I was formally an ant, but instead I came clean with my occupation and church affiliation.
Then, we were able to have an extensive discussion about faith and what it means to us. Honestly, it was refreshing to have someone ask me about my faith on the golf course. I sure am glad I didn't say what I was thinking on hole number 6.

No comments: