Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A New Office= Big Change

For seven years, I have used the same space for my office. A space that has been comfortable, convenient, and a consistent part of my life week after week after week. Last Thursday, I moved upstairs, directly above my old office to a new room that will be my home away from home. In the process of this move, I have discovered several things about myself and about life.
First of all, I have realized that deep down I must be a slob. After seven years of storing, filing, and stuffing things in my office, I discovered that in that time span, one can create a huge mess, or at least I can. It was embarrassing to see all of the trash bags that I filled with things that should have been discarded years ago. I even found some chocolate golf balls (yes, I said chocolate golf balls) that were at least 6 years old. I have no idea why I was saving them, because normally they would not have lasted 6 minutes.
Secondly, I have been reminded that life is a trade-off. My new office is great in many ways. It is larger than the old one. It is brightly painted and cheery. In fact one of the walls is my favorite color- orange. It is also amazingly quiet and allows me plenty of time for deep reflection, uninterupted prayer time, and focus. On the other hand, my new office is like being in an isolation booth- it is almost creepy at times. Thus far, I treasure the moments when people come to see me- quite unusual for an INTJ. I no longer have a private rest room, and I can already tell that I am eventually going to dread walking up and down the stairs. Life really is a trade-off.
Thirdly, I have been reminded that staying the same is much easier than change. Not better, just easier. I guess that is why it is so hard for us to gravitate toward something new-we become incredibly comfortable with what we know and with what is familiar.
So, if you have a chance, come by and check it out- I would enjoy the company.

3 comments:

LedaMWC10 said...

I will come to see your new digs soon. I will have to crawl up those stairs. I wish you had saved some chocolate.

Stac said...

Hey - i'm pretty sure I gave you those chocolate golf balls - so you've kept them 6 years for sentimental reasons?? Or were they just terrible?? My guess is they were disgusting tasting and were made with out-of-date easter candy!
toss 'em for sure!

Leda Carmody said...

Change also brings critics out of the pews. Think about it. What I like, how I feel, what I want is more important, than what you want. My opinion is right. Your opinion is not! I have seen too much of that, since moving here.
The problem is not where they come from, it is how to get rid of them. I still haven't a solution for that.

The orange wall grows on you, after the initial viewing. I like it!