Wednesday, September 30, 2009

"Cut me, Mickey!"

The month of September has been pretty lousy. So much so, that I feel like a prize fighter. I have been getting body blow after body blow after body blow, then before I realize it, I am face down on the canvas hit by a punch that caught me off guard. Oh I landed some good punches occasionally, but I was clearly down in the point standings this month. Then, all of a sudden, I find myself sprawled out on the canvas, woozy from a long fight, wondering what just happened. It is there on the canvas that I have to decide, "Is this fight really worth it?" "Is it time to throw in the towel?" "Do I admit defeat?" Or... do I crawl over to the ropes, pull myself up, catch my breath, and turn around and start swinging again?

As it turns out, I am pretty darn stubborn! Even when it seems like I have no chance to come back and win the fight, deep down, there is this great disdain for losing that makes me swing even harder than I did before. I might lose, but they will have to carry me out of the ring before I give up. Maybe I am stupid and stubborn, I don't know- but it seems to me if something is worth fighting for, I might as well fight to the death. September clearly kicked my butt and alas, I must admit defeat. But thankfully, this is the last day of September, so I live on to fight again, better prepared, better equipped, and more determined.

Here is my question- How do you react when you find that life has dealt a blow that knocks you onto the canvas? What makes you get back up? What passages of Scripture do you turn to? Who do you call to help you get up? How do you mourn your defeats? What advice do you have for others facing tough times? Just curious.

7 comments:

Leda Carmody said...

Satan can not defeat our Lord! You pray, " Lord give me strength!". You put on the Lord's armor and you get up and start swinging His mighty sword!!!!! Satan can't be permitted to defeat you, ever!!!!

You remember you are LOVED!!!!!

I am sick and tired of back stabbers, calling themselves Christians!!!!

Pat Niles said...

Doug, you stay strong. You have more people standing beside than you realize. You have always told us that we have to keep our eyes on our Lord. Unfortunately, some people lose that and they begin a journey that is personal but under the premise of being in the name of our Lord. They will never win when we stay strong and our eyes remain on God. Just because you have been hit by a good blocker doesn't mean you are out of the game. Shake the "dirt" off (and that is all it is) and get back in the game.

We love you and are proud to stand beside you.

Connie said...

My advice to others? -- LEAN (Proverbs 3:5) Simple as that.

I was raised to be independent, not to rely on others to get by in this world. Thanks Mom and Dad! But I have also learned that my wits are not nearly enough. When crises happen and my wits are the first weapon out of the bag, this is when things go downhill fast. It has taken me many years to learn this hard lesson. BUT, if I turn to God first, through prayer, and lean on Him, then He will pull me up off the ropes, set me on my feet again, and give me the strength and determination to "get back in there". (BTW, I share your disdain for losing.)
As I go through the hard times, there are a select few humans that I use as sounding boards, faithful Christ-followers that I know care about me and what God wants for my life. I don't really consider these crises as "defeats" though, since in each one, God is teaching me something, which may or may not be immediately evident. Or maybe He's just encouraging me to keep leaning?

I know God has a plan to use your lousy September for good. And it will more than make up for the struggle you've been through. Hang in there! And lean when you need to. :D

Doug Axtell said...

Thank you for the support and kind words, they are very helpful. Let make it clear though, that the trip to the canvas was not only church related, it came from a myriad of places and events.
Connie- I also have a tendency as an initial reaction to try to be strong and overcome on my own, because we pastors aren't typically afforded the opportunity to be weak. Yet I know that ultimate strength comes from Christ, and I think that down deep I want to not bother Him with my petty issues;however, He wants me to "bother" Him with my petty issues, because they are reminders of my dependence on Him.

Kalajian said...

I have had a whole year plus of big changes and while in the end I think they will be for the best it is not always easy at all and quite overwhelming at times.

Deciding to stick your neck out and make a lot of changes means a host of those punches you were talking about.

Some days I can only do just the one next thing in line.

I cannot control how other people will act or react. If in the end I know I did my best to act with courtesy and honor then there is nothing else I can do.

I remember 2 Timothy 4:7 - I have fought a good fight, I have finished [my] course, I have kept the faith:

Sort of fitting with your boxing analogy huh?

Leda Carmody said...

AMEN!!!!

Amy said...

perspective, hope get me thru...

Romans 8:38For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[m] neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

sorry you've had such a tough spell...praying for you :) miss the snot out of you and that sweet family of yours :)